Mobile platforms are fast catching up with computers and laptops in terms of traffic. And with the flurry of new and smaller devices being introduced in the market, the trend is likely to continue. Already mobile phones are doubling up as an all-round device. Is your email marketing ready for this shift? If not, read on to find out what are the most important ways to optimize your email campaigns for mobile platforms:
- Make the layout simpler, and then simplify some more: You can never have enough simplicity in a mobile email layout. This means getting rid of extra width, creatively combining buttons and links, and sticking to a single-column layout. Plus, try not to go into an overdrive with promo offers. Only a couple good ones should do the trick.
- Smaller message is stronger message: Mobile users are short on screen size, and very short on patience. Copy written for mobile platforms needs to be shorter, more crisp, and very addictive. So, saying something like “Sale – 50% off” is going to get you most heads-up than launching into a poetic explanation of how the season of sales brings joy and happiness to the users’ families.
- Images? What images! – Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words, but a picture that doesn’t load instantly is a definite nightmare. You might have spent sleepless nights perfecting the highest-quality graphics for your campaigns, but on the mobile platform, images become double-edged. Use them sparingly, if at all.
- Strong call-to-action: Make the call-to-action button large, shiny, and attractive. Most users just glance through a message, saying, “Yea, yea, now show me the product,” which is when they start looking for a button impatiently. And heavens help you if that button is obscured by dense design or matches the background color!
- Subject-line is God: Since the main message shrinks unconditionally, the subject line becomes omnipotent on mobile platforms. Make your subject lines work as hard as possible, even if you have to stay up all night for it. More than two-thirds of your conversions are going to come from the subject line.
It’s not rocket science to design campaigns for mobile platforms, but it’s oh-so-easy to take a false step and have it all come crashing down on your head. Follow these steps and stay safe!